Friday, August 22, 2014

Cape Cod & Drive In Movie Memories!






Cape Cod & Drive In Movie Memories




Greater Columbus, Ohio has many neighborhoods throughout the city offering the Cape Cod style home also known as Story and a Half and Short Two Stories. They're a very livable floor plan with a good amount of space for the money. My Aunt Norma and Uncle Mert owned a Cape Cod in the Linden area behind the old Linden-Air Drive-In on Cleveland Avenue. Their home was located at the end of the street and if we positioned ourselves just right, we could see the movies from the big tree or from Cousin Patti's upstairs side bedroom window. No sound but no big whoop. We would make up our own stories and lines. Anyway, cousin Patti was 18 to my 10 years of age so I thought she was dreamy especially with her blue, rhinestone, cat eyed glasses. She usually locked herself away when we came over so I had to hang out w/my other cousin Wayne Dean. We were the same age except he and I were born 11 days apart so the families usually celebrated our birthdays together. We both felt gypped. Anyway, sometimes cousin Patti would be gone. I would sneak upstairs while Wayne Dean played with his matchbox cars. He never missed me. Cousin Patti's upstairs bedroom was huge! She had shades of pink and knotty pine everywhere else. Gleaming wood, built in drawers, built in shelving, a window seat, cool, sloped ceilings and even a built in vanity by the window so she could put on her makeup every day. Her vanity dripped with pearls, chains, baubles and shiny lovelies that screamed for me to try them on... so I did. That's when my love affair w/Pink, Bling and Cape Cods began. Cousin Patti loved that bedroom and so did I!


  




        

No comments: